Sunday 7 February 2016

Five New Habits (Not Resolutions!)

There's a reason why I've waited a few weeks to post this (other than the fact I've been spending most of my time studying), and that is because I didn't want these goals/habits, whatever you choose to call them, to be confused with new years resolutions. Aside from that being extra cliche and cheesy, I know from past experience that resolutions do not work for me and I'd just be setting myself up for failure. I've don't believe in the whole 'new year, new me' or 'this year is going to be my year!' rubbish, however I reckon encouraging new habits that could improve my life and allow for more positivity isn't such a bad idea. 


  1. Organisation:
    I see people my age that have so much going on in their lives, but they still seem to have all their shit together and I'm sitting there with a mountain of washing, about 7 upcoming deadlines, a messy house and zero pennies. I need to be more like these other people. I need to learn how to be more organised in my studies, this blog and my life in general. That's the first good habit I want to gain. 

  2. Health:
    I'm not going to lie, I have no interest in diets, weight-loss programmes, juicing or any other silly fad that 'insert famous person's name' swears by. I do think that general health is important though and I'm very aware that mine isn't in great shape. I want to eat less junk and more good foods. I am a big lover of food though, so I need to find healthy things that taste great too. Also, I'm the first person to raise their hand and say I hate exercise, I'd much rather sit in watching random youtube videos about it than actually do it. This needs to change, I need to find something to get my fitness up, but that's also enjoyable so I don't give up. 

  3. Happiness:
    Something that personally I find more important than fitness is wellbeing. I have mental health issues and I know that when I have down days/weeks/months I have zero motivation to do anything and this then affects my relationships, studies and quality of life. That's why I'm going to put my wellbeing at the top of my priority list from now on. I've already changed GPs to someone that I'm much more comfortable with and I'm working on finding new ways to help me cope with these issues. This kind of ties in with the previous goal as being physically healthier will hopefully improve my mental health as well. 

  4. Experience:
    I've realised that I'm currently half way through my degree and I need to start thinking about the future in a realistic way. Over this next year I'm going to do my best to gain as much experience as possible in order to have a better chance of actually getting a 'real job' when I eventually graduate. So far I've already signed up to several work experience related workshops and I've booked an appointment with the careers team at uni to see what I can actually be doing to improve my chances of getting my dream job. 

  5. Friendships:
    Because of reasons I've already mentioned, I can sometimes isolate myself from the world and this can cause me to abandon my friendships a bit. I have friends that I've known for years and when we talk it's great, but it can sometimes be months in between phone calls or meet ups! I want to change this and make more of an effort to keep in touch with the people I love as well as take more opportunities to welcome new people into my life too.


Have you set yourself any goals for 2016?


Bicks x

No comments: