Wednesday 3 February 2016

Bicks watches: tv series

It's so cold outside and Netflix has been calling. In between essays I've been binge watching quite a few shows over the winter months and I thought I'd share a few of my favs below:


Making a Murderer
If you haven't heard of this series you clearly live on another planet or something and if you haven't seen it yet, well why not?! Steven Avery is a man who was falsely convicted of rape in the 80s and was sent to prison. 18 years later he was finally exonerated for this crime. He wasn't satisfied with only his freedom, they stole 18 years of his life! So he decides to sue the state to compensate for this injustice. Only two years later, whilst still in the middle of his fight with the state, he is is arrested for the murder of Teresa Halbach. The evidence against him seems a little shaky and the defence make some very good points. Did the state want to get rid of this man to save them paying out for their mistakes? Did he or didn't he do it? 

I love these kind of documentaries, they really make me think and I become a little obsessed. About this time last year I discovered the Paradise Lost documentaries about the West Memphis Three and that also had me hooked. Making a Murderer is so gripping, many like me binge-watched this in one sitting - not even sorry! It's available on Netflix, so if you don't have an account borrow your mates/brothers/cousins password and definitely have a watch. 



Dance Moms
I was listening to a Sia song on Youtube and had a look in the comments. Obviously they are mostly talking about the little girl dancing in the video, Maddie Ziegler and one of them mentioned that she was on this show called Dance Moms. Of course I checked it out. Basically there's two aspects of this show: First, Abby Lee Miller is the devil himself in the form of a terrifying dance teacher, she takes young children and crushes their souls in order to make them dance well. Somehow this must work because this is how that little girl in Chandelier is now world famous and gets to hang out with Shia Labeouf. Secondly, it's about the actual 'Dance Moms'. These women are ridiculous. They pay Abby Lee a fortune to torture their children and constantly pick fights with her about it. They also hate when new kids join, in fear that they might steal a moment of torture from their own girls and so bully the new moms out.
Okay yes, this is trash TV at its finest, but when you have a horrible essay to write and zero motivation then it makes for great procrastination material.

Once upon a time
I've been watching this series for about 2 years, but as you've probably realised by now, I don't like waiting an entire week for the next episode. I'll go ages without watching this show then binge it in about 2 days until I'm all caught up. There's a woman called Emma Swan and she ends up in this town called Storybrooke. This town is a bit weird, and the people in it also seem a bit weird too. That's because they are fairytale characters trapped in our world, oh and they also have no idea who they really are because they are under a curse that's made them forget everything. Emma sets out to solve the mystery of who has cursed this town and how to fix it and we get to watch as some of our favourite childhood characters are introduced into this series, often with a little twist. Once upon a time is a bit like Marmite though. I say this because, like Marmite, I love it. Noah on the other hand gags at even the smell of Marmite and he thinks this show is a pile of shit. Its on Netflix, I advise you watch a couple of episodes and see what you think.

ReignI have no idea what made me want to watch this, but now I can't stop. Mary Queen of Scots is betrothed to Frances, the prince of France and after hiding out in a nunnery for most of her life, now's the time for her go to French court and wed him. Sounds simple enough, however, Frances' mother is convinced by a prophecy that Mary will be the death of her son and so does everything in her power to split them up. Mary's own mother is demanding about her doing what is 'right for Scotland' and pretty much the whole of England wants her dead. We see how Mary and her lady's maids survive in French court, the decisions she is forced to make and how her relationships between both of the Kings sons grow - everybody loves a love triangle.
I'm well into this series, I'm just about to start season 3 and I can't recommend it enough. I went in thinking it was going to be just another period drama series. Nope, it's more like Gossip Girl meets Game of Thrones. I have to say I don't think it's very historically accurate though and everyone seems to have an english accent even though the main characters are supposed to be French and Scottish - I've been irritated by this since episode one, but I'm still watching.

What shows have you been watching lately? Are you also a binge-watcher?

Bicks x

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14224743/?claim=v3299ddk88y">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments: