Saturday 2 January 2016

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

I think we can all relate, when you've moved away from home and you come back, it's hard not to regress back into your former teenage self. You're used to the freedom of your own space and laying in until midday on your days off and going out without being questioned about when you will be coming back. I thought since I'm currently at my 'rents house, I'd reflect back a little bit.
fourteen.
Seeing my younger sister at 16 years old gives me flashbacks over the last decade or so and definitely a good cringe at some of the things I said and did. Somebody asked me the other day, what advice would I give to my younger self if I could? Although we are very different, I hope my not-so-little sister can use this advice too if she ever stumbles upon it.
sixteen.
It's not all that bad. Life's hard when your 16, when popularity trumps individuality and all you want to do is get through school and get a job. Somedays I think if I could go back to being a teen with no responsibilities and free from others expectations then I would in a heartbeat. I spent a lot of time sulking in my bedroom, but life's pretty sweet at 16 so I'd tell myself to take a look at the bigger picture and enjoy yourself! 

eighteen.
Don't be so harsh on yourself. I struggled through school both socially and academically, at points I was convinced that I'd never get anywhere in life. However, I'm now at university and living in a beautiful city with so many opportunities right in front of me. Past me, there's so much to look forward to. It won't be easy, but you'll get there. 
twenty.
Be careful. I was fearless and convinced I was invincible. Maybe I'm more of a worrier now or perhaps just a little less naive, but I feel very lucky that nothing bad happened to me on endless nights out when I'd lost the group and just wondered home on my own. I look back now and I think 'No! Don't walk home by yourself at 4am. Don't drink so much that you don't know how to defend yourself!' Be careful and look out for yourself. 
twenty-two.
Do You. I tried on a few personalities when I was younger. I wanted to be accepted maybe a little too much and it back fired. As I've gotten older I stopped caring and found real friends that appreciate me. I currently live with my boyfriend and best friend, Noah, who loves me despite my flaws. You'll find out who you are and you'll have people around you who've got your back, don't worry. 
twenty-four. 
Bicks xx

No comments: