Tuesday 13 December 2016

Anya's Ghost | Review

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Russian high-schooler Anya decides to skip school to go smoke in the woods. Unfortunately she ends up falling down into a old well where she stays for two days next to a pile of bones! Those bones happen to belong to a ghost who follows her home when she is eventually rescued. Having this ghost bugging her all day long actually comes with some perks, like helping her cheat in her test she never bothered to revise for and helping get her crush's attention. Anya thinks having her very own ghost might actually be kind of cool! That is until she makes a shocking discovery about her new friend...


Basically if Neil Gaiman calls anything 'a masterpiece' I'll read it. And I'm so glad I did with this one. This graphic novel captures the life of a teenager perfectly, including navigating the high school social sphere, love interests, family life and the general teen angst that we've all had to endure.
The art style is very cartoony and the colour scale is black, grey and purple which reminds me of my bedroom decor from my early teens – which my parents hated, but that only made me like it even more!
The dreaded bleep test brought back some memories
I would recommend this to teens 14 years old and above. I think it's relatable with just the right amount of escapism. It also briefly covers the struggle of moving to a new country and settling in as a young person. As an adult it's very nostalgic and the plot is still engaging and unique enough to hold an older readers interest. I really enjoyed this and gave it 5 out of 5 stars! 

Bicks x

No comments: