Tuesday 6 December 2016

Favourite Naked Hardbacks

I don't own very many hardback books. They're expensive, inconvenient to read and take up a lot of shelf space. But, due to being impatient and wanting special editions I do own some, and a select few of them are extremely beautiful (and worth sharing in my opinion). The first thing that I do when I acquire a new hardback is take the dust jacket off, often I'll be disappointed with the usual red/blue/black plain cover with the title down the spine, but occasionally I'll be pleasantly surprised...

The BFG by Roald Dahl, illustrated by Quentin Blake
This is the 100th birthday edition of a childhood favourite and with the film coming out the following week I just needed it in my life. I have no idea where our old copy has gone to but now I don't need to worry because this edition is also illustrated inside too!

The Grace keepers by Kirsty Logan, illustrated by Felicita Sala
I've owned this book for so long now. It was a suggestion on amazon and it sounds right up my street, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It actually has a beautiful dust jacket too but I love the mermaid design underneath just a little bit more. I'm hoping to read The Grace Keepers over the holidays.

Seven Brief Lessons On Physics by Carlo Rovelli, cover art by Coralie Bickford-Smith
I've spoken about this book on here previously and although I'd heard so much praise for it's contents, it was the cover that finally had me sold. Sometimes simplicity is best and it really works in this case. Coralie Bickford-Smith has also designed the Clothbound Classics, which I always love, as well as loads of other stuff and I could dedicate a whole post about her work to be honest (I might).

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, illustrated by Sanna Annukka
I like to read this on cold evenings wrapped in a blanket with a cup of tea. It's a classic fairytale that I loved as a child and Sanna Annukka's gorgeous artwork, on the cover and throughout, enhances this story in a whole new way.

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking, cover art by Matt Blease
I love the idea of hygge and the Danish lifestyle, so I ordered this with a birthday voucher. I think this cover is just stunning and works perfectly with the subject matter – it just looks so cosyyy!

Do you have any favourite naked hardbacks? 
Have you ever bought a book based solely on the cover?
Leave a comment and let me know!

Bicks x

No comments: