Sunday 22 November 2015

Bicks Listens | Podcasts

Years ago when I was a teenager and still in school (gosh that was so long ago) I used to listen to podcasts all the time, most of which were recommended by my dad. But somewhere along the line I lost interest, became too busy and forgot all about the world of podcasts. Recently however, I've been wanting stuff to listen to when on my way to university. Music is brilliant, but sometimes I'm not feeling it, so I've been searching the web for decent podcasts to get me through my little commute (I say commute. I live in the same city as my uni, but it still takes me an hour to get there).

I thought today that I would share a few that have caught my attention and tell you my thoughts. 


Welcome to Night Vale:
I know I'm extremely late to the party with this one as it's been going for years! I was recommended it by multiple people and thought I'd give it a listen. WTNV is weird. I'm not sure how else I can describe it other than really weird. If you've never heard of it, it's in the form of a radio station of  a post apocalyptic town and the presenter updates the listeners about all the strange stuff that happens there. Each week it features a new artist that does 'the weather' which is a song. It's creepy, humourous, as I've already mentioned weird and sometimes it doesn't really seem to make sense. But I find it quite calming to listen to, especially when I've had a stressful day and I need to wind down. 

Lena Dunham seems to be everywhere at the moment, or maybe I'm only just noticing and she's been everywhere all along? Anyway, I really enjoyed her series Girls, so when I saw that she had teamed up with buzzfeed to create a podcast I thought I'd give it a listen. Each week Lena and her various guests talk about a different topic based around the lives of real and individual women. So far she's treated us to; friendship, body and love&sex. Unfortunately this podcast is only running for 5 episodes, but definitely worth checking out, along with her 'bonus' episodes as well.

Books and Authors by BBC Radio 4:
This one sounds less exciting I know, but like most publishing students I love talking about books. this podcast contains 2 types of episode, a good read and open book. I mainly listen to the good read episodes on my way to uni in the mornings. What I like about it is they don't always talk about new releases and I can discover some old gems. It's nice and chilled and makes me want to fill up my already stuffed shelves even more.

I'm still looking for more to listen to, so if you have any recommendations, throw them my way! I'll be back with more podcasts as I find them so watch this space...

Bicks xx

No comments: