Wednesday 22 June 2016

Book Review | The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

I actually picked up my copy of 'The Lie Tree' in a supermarket when I was home in February. I'd heard the title a few times and had seen it around quite a bit, but I had no idea what it was about. 



Set in the Victorian era, fourteen year old Faith has grown up admiring the world of science through watching her father, Reverend Erasmus' work. More than anything Faith wants to follow in his footsteps, but of course it is not right for a young lady to be a scientist. However, the family have been forced to move out of the country due to a huge scandal surrounding her father and one night he decides to share with her with his biggest secret, the Lie Tree. Soon after, he dies under extremely suspicious circumstances. Faith, convinced that the reverend has in fact been murdered, finds herself on a path of both discovery and deceit in order to bring justice to the person who caused her fathers demise.


I don't usually find myself liking children's fiction that often, but this was one of the best books I've read so far this year. The writing's engaging, the plot is clever and the characters were fantastically written. 

The thing I loved the most about this is the fact that I've never come across so many strong female characters in one book, let alone children's fiction. They are all written as realistic and individual women and are very much visible throughout the story. Hardinge certainly proves that there is no need to rely on stereotypes or tropes to drive a great plot. 

"Faith had always told herself she was not like other ladies. But neither, it seemed, were other ladies."


I read this in almost one sitting - by this I mean I read until I slept, then picked it back up in the morning - I was completely hooked on the storyline and just couldn't wait to find out what happened next. This is a story about bravery, believing in oneself and sends the true message that anyone can be and should be whoever they wish to be.

Unsurprisingly, I gave The Lie Tree 5 out of 5 stars and I'm really looking forward to reading more of Frances Hardinge's work. I've already passed on my copy for my sister to read and I don't think there's anyone that I wouldn't recommend this book to.

Bicks x

No comments: