Monday 6 June 2016

Life Update | Mental Health, Moving House & Staying Happy

It's been a while and nothings really happened on here since my last update. I've got a few reviews and other things I'm working on, but for now I thought I'd let you know what's been going on.


Home
Noah and I have officially been living together, just the two of us, for a full year. It's been good and it's been difficult sometimes, but mainly it's helped us to grow within our relationship. We've both managed to pass the test - seriously, moving in with a partner for the first time is terrifying - and we love living together, but our current abode just doesn't feel like home for us. 

So...WE'RE MOVING! We've found a new place and it's a little smaller, but in a convenient location, has a private courtyard and we'll have a lot more freedom.* Unfortunately you wont be seeing tonnes of home hauls or furniture updates any time soon as we've got very limited time (and funds) until we move into the new flat, but perhaps some moving themed things will be posted. 

*Currently we're not allowed to decorate, put up any kind of fixtures like pictures or have our pets live on the property.

Health
If you read my post back in April, then you'll know that my mental health wasn't at its best. Not a lot has changed, however, I'm no longer trapped inside by myself any more. I'm still struggling with really public places by myself and I prefer to be with someone else anyway, but there's nothing forcing me to stay home. I'm trying to at least go for a walk every day. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but the next day I try again.

I decided to stop taking the anti-depressants. I believe that they can and do work for a lot of people, they actually really helped me last year, but right now I have chosen to take another route. My doctor agrees with me that it's probably not what I need right now, so we've decided to see how things go doing other things and perhaps talk about medication at a later date. One reason for this change of heart is because I'm already taking different medications for other things and currently the side effects outweigh the benefits for me. 

So I've had a couple of sessions with the university well-being advisers and I'm on a waiting list for therapy. I'm also going to be doing some courses to help work through some things.  

Happiness
Staying positive is really important for me right now. Some shitty things have happened recently (including our flat being broken into and getting spiked with ketamine yay...) and it's been very difficult to see past those events at times. So I've been actively doing a few things to keep my mood up. 

Firstly I've been making an effort to get up, dressed and eat breakfast before 10am. That's really late for some people, but when you're literally spending days in bed at a time it's quite an improvement, I assure you. I've been making sure to talk to people, whether that's in person, online or over the phone. I was going weeks without communicating with the outside world before so this is so much better. I've also been doing some home workouts and trying to teach myself to cook real food. I was just eating junk and take-aways that required no effort. I'm no Gordon Ramsey, however, I'm trying to make sure I get three decent-ish meals a day. At least some of these things must be making a difference because I'm able to keep getting up every day. I'm still exhausted, but definitely a little less hopeless. 

Generally what's been keeping me happy though has been reading some amazing books, watching documentaries, making lists and sitting by the window listening to the rain with a warm cup of tea. 

Bicks x

No comments: